Paradise of a Thousand Shingles

Friday, April 13, 2007

My blonde roommate, reprise

This evening I was teaching Jessica to distinguish between different frog calls. She never really caught onto the different sounds, and was convinced that I was trying to trick her by playing a cow instead of a bullfrog. After a while we moved on to bird calls. Those can be tricky, and while confusing a great horned owl with a mourning dove is kind of odd, it's somewhat understandable. Then I played this clip, followed by this one.

Jessica sat with a puzzled look upon her beautiful countenance.

"Can you play that again?" she inquired.

I obliged.

"Is that a crow?"

I burst out laughing.

"How about an eagle?"

While Jessica sat in bewhilderment and I collapsed in mirth, Mia came downstairs. I played her the clips, and Mia informed Jessica, "You're going to be really mad with yourself when you find out."

"What color is the bird?" asked Jessica.

"They come in many colors."

"I have no idea, can you give me a hint?" inquired our fair-haired heroine.

"That sound is only made by the male members of the species."

After a while, I am happy to report, Jessica finally did arrive at the correct answer.

Right now she is barely conscious on the couch, and since she won't go to bed we'll take this moment for a candid interview.

Me: "Miss Young, tell me about your aversion to your loft."
Jess: "What do you mean?"
Me: "Why don't you like going to bed?"
Jess: (giggles) "I actually generally like going to bed, but I can't because I have to put my laundry in the dryer first." (hides her face under her arm much like some of Peter's hens)
Me: "So why don't you get a wiggle on moving the laundry?"
Jess: "Because I don't feel like it. Nobody is going to want to read this interview."
Me: "But some of our best stuff comes out after midnight."
Jess: "Maybe so"
Me: "I think you're too awake for an interview. I liked it better when you sat straight upright at the rooster crow just now."
(Silence from the couch)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home