Paradise of a Thousand Shingles

Monday, July 30, 2007

A Very Exciting Soup

Darling Mia and Sara and Jessica,

I had this very special moment in Bloomingfoods today that I just had to tell you about. Oh yeah, I got a job, did I tell you that? I’ve been terrible about staying in contact with anyone for the last month or two. Checking my email and seeing the constant stream of rejection letters got so depressing that I just quit spending time online. But anyway, if you write me now I’ll write back because I don’t have to dread opening my email anymore.

So anyway, I’m a cook in the hippiest grocery in Bloomington. It’s not the hippiest lunch spot, because there are dozens of those, but it is the hippiest grocery. We make plenty of vegetarian and vegan dishes, and there’s a big emphasis on local, organic and natural foods. For example, we never use canola oil because it’s genetically modified. Who knew? And did you know that a 1/3 lb baked slice of tofu is called a “steak”?

One of the perks of working in the kitchen is we get to sample most of the dishes we make. Actually, we’re supposed to taste the things we make so we know if it’s ok or not. I’m getting really sick of making sure the egg salad I make every day tastes fine – egg salad has never been my favorite, although it’s pretty fun to make. But sometimes the guys will bring me pieces of chicken or bowls of soup they’ve made. Which brings me to the fabulous moment I thought of you today.

There’s this other new cook who got hired last week with me. However, while I don’t have any kitchen experience and am struggling to keep up making the cold salads, this guy (Joe – seriously, almost everyone in the kitchen is a guy with a one-syllable name – Dan, Mike, Joe, Jim, Jay – it’s funny because it’s such a stereotype… anyway) Joe just graduated from culinary school so he’s way ahead of me in cooking skills. So while I’m making egg salad, Joe is making exciting entrees and soups. Guess what soup he handed me a spoon to sample today?

Think for a minute before you read the answer. I bet you’ll get it.

It was African Peanut Pumpkin Soup. And it was really, really good. You probably wouldn’t have liked it, but it was way better than the one we made. For one thing, it was completely smooth, so if it had onions or peppers you didn’t notice it. And it was so creamy and spicy and different – really, really delicious! It was one of the best things I’ve had to eat there, besides the Szechwan green beans and the slice of raw fennel Mike gave me today.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that with you. Call me sometime – I get lonely sometimes even with the highly sociable atmosphere in the Bloomingfoods kitchen. Are you all ready to start student teaching Mia? And Sara and Jess – I’d love to help you move into your apartment when you’re ready - I could bring up Dad’s truck on a Sunday afternoon, maybe even with Dad in it!

Love you all bunches,
Kara

3 Comments:

  • At 4:00 AM, Blogger SaraY said…

    Wow, that is exciting, Kara! I don't think we'll be needing the truck...we might be needing the Dad though, depending on how many guys are around Wes Laf Monday afternoon.

    I told one of my friends here about the lovely amazingness of pumpkin soup. They don't have pumpkin here or I'd try to make it for her. She might even like it. We like a lot of the same stuff.

     
  • At 2:23 AM, Blogger Nathan said…

    So is this blog going to die a ignoble death like credo,etc?

     
  • At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd say there's a decent possibility since the four of us aren't living together anymore. Paradise on earth can't last forever.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home